The Village of Key Biscayne Police Department is issuing this Safety Alert due to an increase in calls pertaining to FPL scams throughout the Village. Please familiarize yourselves with the tips listed below and use caution when encountering such individuals.
How to protect yourself:
FPL employees are regularly in neighborhoods for reasons including reading or working on electric meters, administering home energy-saving programs and maintaining power lines. Please note that all FPL employees carry a photo identification badge. In addition, all FPL contractors have a contractor badge and can provide you a work request number along with an FPL supervisor name and number. If you have any doubt, ask to see their credentials, and call FPL to verify.
Recognize suspicious activity such as:
- Someone pretending to be an FPL employee or contractor in order to gain access to your home.A company claiming to be FPL, or associated with FPL, that solicits your personal
- information or offers to sell products and services over the telephone or through the mail.
- Emails, websites or mobile apps that appear to be from FPL and require you to provide personal information.
When you encounter suspicious activity:
- Ask to see credentials, and contact FPL at the phone number listed at the bottom of your FPL bill to verify.
- Do not allow anyone into your home if you feel suspicious, unsure or confused.
- Do not provide personal information over the phone unless you called FPL.
- Delete suspicious emails that require you to act immediately, and send them to FPL at firstname.lastname@example.org to verify.
- Do not respond to suspicious emails, and do not trust the contact information provided in those emails.
You can find these tips and more at www.fpl.com.
Please remember to contact the Key Biscayne Police Department at (305) 365-5555 if something just does not feel right.