Update posted October 5, 2011:
Free mulch is available year round at the City of Miami facility in Virginia Key (see original article below for location). However, you MUST bring your own container(s). Double bagging is advised if you use lawn/garden or trash bags.
Original Article posted September 2, 2011:
Residents are advised that the City of Miami's Department of Solid Waste has free mulch available for pick up at its Virginia Key Much Facility located at 3851 Rickenbacker Causeway. There is ample supply, no limit restrictions and no appointment necessary for pick up during operating hours (Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 2:00 pm). On site personnel will provide assistance.
The mulch, though not of premium quality according to the Village landscape contractor, is useful to preserve soil moisture and prevent the growth of weeds in residential gardens. Mulch also enhances the soil as it breaks down over time. According to the City, mulch has the following benefits:
- Water Conservation - Mulching traps more moisture in the soil where it gets utilized by plants. You won't have to water as often.
- Plant Food - Once the mulch breaks down, it turns into plant food (compost) and makes your soil and plants healthier.
- Weed Control - Mulching significantly reduces the amount of weeds. Why risk harming plants and the environment with herbicides when mulch can do the same naturally?
- Waste Reduction - Instead of throwing your leaves and grass clippings in the landfill, you'll be reusing them to increase the luster of your flowerbed or landscape.
- Inexpensive - This might not be environmentally green, but mulch is very financially economical. Why spend countless dollars buying chemicals and equipment to achieve the same results?
As noted in the August 26 flyer from the City announcing the program, "During this economy and with tough budget constraints, we understand the need for resources, which is why we are making our mulch available at no cost to your city, community and residents."
For additional information, please call (305) 960-2803 or email email@example.com.