Tips for Setting up a Recycling Program - Multi-family Residences

Village Goes Green Initiative

   Miami-Dade County Solid Waste Management

Miami-Dade County Recycling Ordinance No. 91-123 requires that all multi-family residential establishments must recycle.

This ordinance became mandatory in July 1992 and is intended to maximize the amount of waste that is diverted from disposal. Sections 15-2.2, 15-2.4, 15-2.5, and 15-2.6 are the relevant sections for multi-family residences; Section 15-2.2 is given below. Enforcement has recently been ramped up with the assignment of nine County code enforcement officers to the recycling effort.


Sec. 15-2.2. Recycling programs required for multi-family residential establishments.
(a)   No later than nine (9) months from the effective date of Ordinance Number 91-123, every multi-family residential establishment shall provide for a recycling program which shall be serviced by a permitted hauler or the appropriate governmental agency and shall include, at a minimum, the five (5) materials listed in Section 15-2.2 below.

Recyclable Materials: Multi-family


(1)   Newspaper
(2)   Glass (flint, emerald, amber)
(3)   Aluminum cans
(4)   Steel cans
(5)   Plastics (PETE, NDPE-natural, HDPE colored)


(b)   The failure of a multi-family residential establishment to provide a recycling program or a modified recycling program pursuant to Section 15-2.4 hereof shall constitute a violation of this section for which the property owner(s) shall be liable, provided, however, that in the case of a condominium or cooperative apartment having a condominium association or cooperative apartment association, said association, rather than individual unit owners, shall be liable for any such violation.

(Ord. No. 91-123, § 4, 10-15-91)


To encourage recycling at your condominium if it is not offered, speak with your property manager and ask why recycling isn't currently offered. Then, express your interest in recycling, and mention the County ordinance. Your property manager may not know how to proceed. Explain that they need to speak with the waste hauler about this.

Contact your current waste hauler to determine whether they provide recyclables removal, or search for contractors in the Yellow Pages or online. Services and prices vary so it’s a good idea to get several quotes.

Miami-Dade County suggests you ask potential contractors these questions:

  • Can I reduce the size of my garbage container (and some of the cost of garbage collection) by establishing a recycling collection program?
  • Will you remove and replace containers located in trash rooms or on the ground floor, or must the toters be located outside? (Toters [portable, 96-gallon containers] should be placed in areas that are accessible to tenants, yet secure from vandalism or theft.)
  • Do you provide any educational materials that can be distributed to tenants?
  • What is considered a "contaminant" and how will a contaminated load affect the program?
  • When you hire a commercial hauler or recycler who hauls your material, then all reporting requirements for County compliance are their responsibility.

More detail about what can be recycled from condo and rental units:

  • Newspapers (without plastic delivery bags)
  • Glass food and beverage containers, such as soda, juice and salad dressing containers
  • Aluminum cans
  • Steel cans
  • Household plastic containers such as soda, milk, juice and water containers, and dishwashing and laundry detergent bottles (labeled PETE, NDPE-natural, HDPE-colored)

Need more assistance?  Contact Miami-Dade County Department of Solid Waste Management.

Telephone: (305) 514-6666




"To provide a safe, quality community environment for all islanders through responsible government."


© 2013 Village of Key Biscayne   |   88 West McIntyre Street   |   Key Biscayne, FL   |   33149   |   (305) 365-5511   |


Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records.
If you do not want your email address released in response to a public records request,

do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.