Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to have a Special Event in the Village?

Please fill out a Special Event Permit Application, which may be obtained from the Building, Zoning, Planning and Public Works Department in Suite 250, Village Hall. The application also can be downloaded from the Document Center at the Village website.

Please be aware that Special Event Permits must be filed no less than twenty (20) days before the event. You are required to bring a completed application and applicable information (diagram of event, specifications, insurance certificate), with you to initiate the permit process. Drop off the completed forms at the Building Permit Desk in Suite 250 of Village Hall. If you have any further questions or concerns, please call the BZPPW at (305) 365-5502.

How much will my permit cost?

Permit cost is a function of the construction cost or area of new construction (value or volume of the work) or a combination of both. The minimum cost for a building permit is $106.00 plus additional fees if required. If only cost is involved (no new area being added), the basic permit fee is $106.00. Additional cost, if any, is determined at the moment of application or issuance. If the area of construction is new or is a significant addition, the fee is $106.00 plus additional costs based the square footage and volume.  For combined additions and remodeling, the cost of the addition must be separated from the total cost. If this is not done at time of application, the fee will be based on the total cost as estimated by Building, Zoning, Planning and Public Works Department officials.

I am doing a remodeling inside my house/apartment. What do I need to bring to the Department to get a permit?

For major jobs or projects, you need to bring architectural or engineering plans that fully describe the work to be done. They must be signed and sealed by a Florida Licensed architect or engineer. For small jobs, a sketch by the homeowner or contractor will be allowed; the determination of what is a small job vs. major job will be made by Village officials. However, if plumbing, mechanical or electrical work is involved, your subcontractors must submit plans that fully describe the work they will be performing and affix their name, stamp and license number to the drawings. Any plans presented to us must bear the name and contact information of the person who prepared them.

How and where can I obtain a Building Permit?

Pick up a blank Permit Application Form at the Building, Zoning, Planning and Public Works Department (Suite 250 at Village Hall) or download the application from this site. Click to access the Building permit application.

Building permits are issued in the name of the property owner(s) or licensed contractors performing the work. Generally, you will need the following:

    - Building Permit application 
    - 2 sets of plans

    - 2 set of structural calculations

    - 3 sets of energy calculations 

    - 2 copies of property survey

    - Impact Fees, County Department of Permitting, Environmental and Regulatory Affairs, Fire Dept., and Special Inspector forms (if required)

If the size of the job is on a large scale, then other materials may be required. For any issues or concerns, please call the Building, Zoning, Planning and Public Works  Department at (305) 365-5512.

You are responsible for filling out all parts of the application correctly. If you have any questions concerning what category your work falls under, please visit our office and see an inspector or processor for your trade. Refunds will not be given in case of error in your part and you will be charged a double fee plus fine for all work done without a permit. Minimum fee for all permits is $106.00, unless otherwise noted.

If you are a property owner, know that it is in your best interest to use a contractor licensed in the State of Florida to protect your property and yourself. Learn more about how to find, hire and enter into a contract with a contractor by reading the "Protect Your Investment ... Hire Only Licensed Contractors" brochure (PDF file) provided by the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation (FDBPR).  Information about licensed professionals and businesses is available at the FDBPR's "Licensee Search" webpage.

Do I need a permit to paint inside my residence?

No - a building permit is not required to paint interior spaces in a house/apartment/condominium or to paint the exterior of a single-family home or duplex.

Do I need a permit to change the kitchen or bathroom cabinets and/or fixtures?

Yes. You need a building permit and, if the work involves fixtures (electrical or plumbing), you also will need plumbing and electrical permits. If your apartment is in a condominium, you will need approval from the Condominium Association and/or the Condominium Manager.  Removal, replacement or addition of any electric device will require an electrical permit (ex.: adding GFCI outlet, changing/replacing light fixture or lighted medicine cabinet).

Do I need a permit to install and/or repair tile or other types of flooring in an apartment or condo?

Yes. Apartment, Condominium or Commercial Building tenants must obtain a building permit if the work involves the installation or replacement of tile or other flooring.  If your apartment is in a condominium you will need approval for the work to be performed from your Condominium Association or Condominium Manager.

Do I need a permit to install a fence or wall around my house?

Yes - a building permit is required for installation of all fences and masonry walls.

When do I need a building permit?

A permit is required to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, convert, or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by the Florida Building Code, or to cause any such work to be done.

Examples include:
Add a room; Build a stairway; Move, remove or add walls; Put up a fence; Finish an attic, garage or basement to make additional space; Cut a new window or door opening, or widen an existing opening; Build, demolish or move a carport, garage or shed that is more than 200 square feet in area; Apply roofing material when all of the old roofing material is removed and new sheathing is installed, except when the existing solid plywood is removed and new plywood is installed; Build a retaining wall; Build a porch or deck that is above any portion of the surrounding finish grade; Move more than 50 cubic yards of earth or any amount of cut/fill on sites affected by waterways or slope hazards.

If you are not sure whether or not you need a permit, call the Village's Chief Building Official at (305) 365-8902.

I own my apartment. Can I do work as an Owner-Builder and not have to hire a General Contractor?

No. Apartment, Condominium or Commercial Building tenants must hire a contractor in all situations. You can only act as an owner-builder on single-family or duplex residential projects, and also must meet requirements of Florida Statutes Section 489.103 (7) (PDF file). Florida Statutes only exempt homeowners when building themselves a single or two-family residence to live in. If they intend to sell it within one year after obtaining the final Certificate of Completion, then they are no longer exempt.

If I qualify as an Owner-Builder, what are my responsibilities?

Your responsibilities are many and some risks are involved if you pursue this role. Please read the "Pulling an Owner/Builder Permit is Risky Business!" information sheet (PDF file) provided by the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation for important details.

It is best to stop by our offices and meet with the Village Building Official to prove (via a question and answer session) that you have the capability of performing the work to code. You can pick up a copy of our OWNER-BUILDER CERTIFICATION form that outlines your responsibilities under the Florida Statutes. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Does a new pool, deck or shed require a building permit?

Yes, you need a building permit for a new pool, deck, or shed. These structures are also referred to as accessory structures and have restrictions based on the Village's Zoning Code.  For a copy of the land development code, click

Building Permit Applications (PDF) are available online at

How can I schedule an inspection?

An inspection can be scheduled through Online Services in the Public Access tab on the Village of Key Biscayne website. You can also schedule an inspection by calling the Building, Zoning, Planning and Public Works Department at (305) 365-5512.

How do I check the status of my Building Permit?

The status of a permit can be checked through the Online Services in the Public Access tab on the Village of Key Biscayne website.  Click on Village Departments, then click on Building, Zoning and Planning, finally click on "Online Permit and Inspection Management". Follow the links and it gives you several options to find your particular />

How long does it take to get a Building Permit?

Our goal is to review plans and provide comments within 10 working days for residential projects and 14 working days for commercial projects. Small projects can usually be walked-thru by the contractor or owner-builder on the same day.

Are there any other regulatory agency approvals required for permitting?

The following regulatory agencies may need to review and approve plans prior to the issuance of a permit by the Village. To determine which regulatory agencies are required for your desired permit, please contact the Village Building, Zoning, Planning and Public Works Department at 305-365-5512.

Miami-Dade County Department of Permiting, Environmental and Regulatory Affairs (PERA)

701 N.W. 1st Court
Miami, FL 33136

Miami-Dade Water and Sewer Department

3071 S.W. 38th Avenue
Miami, FL 33146

Why is a Building Permit required?

A building permit is necessary to ensure the welfare and safety of the public, as mandated by Florida Statutes and the Florida Building Code. The property owner is responsible for securing building permits prior to the commencement of any work. Working without a permit is illegal and can result in citations and fines. The owner is ultimately responsible for any and all work performed at his/her property.

Where can I find an application for demolition?

A demolition application is the same as for a Building Permit and can be found here:

Do I need a building permit fo the installation of a new water heater, air-conditioner, or dishwasher?

Yes, permits are needed for those types of installations. You can pick up a Building Permit in the Building, Zoning, Planning and Public Works offices in Suite 250 of Village Hall or go online at

Facebook Twitter

"To provide a safe, quality community environment for all islanders through responsible government."


© 2013 Village of Key Biscayne   |   88 West McIntyre Street   |   Key Biscayne, FL   |   33149   |   (305) 365-5511   |


Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records.
If you do not want your email address released in response to a public records request,

do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.