The ABCs of Permits

Know When You Need a Permit and How to Get One

Attention Permit Applicants
Florida Building Code (FBC) 2020 - 7th Edition
Is Now In Effect As Of 12/31/2020



Q: How do I obtain a permit?


A: Pick up a blank Building Permit Application Form at the Department or download the application (PDF) from this site. You are responsible for filling out all applications correctly. If you have any questions concerning what category your work falls under, please visit our office and see an inspector or processor for your trade. Refunds will not be given in case of error in your part and you will be charged a double fee plus fine for all work done without a permit. Minimum fee for all permits is $106.00, unless otherwise noted.

If you are a property owner, know that it is in your best interest to use a contractor licensed in the State of Florida to protect your property and yourself.  Learn more about how to find, hire and enter into a contract with a contractor by reading the "Protect Your Investment ... Hire Only Licensed Contractors" brochure (PDF) provided by the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation (FDBPR).  Information about licensed professionals and businesses is available at the FDBPR's "Licensee Search" webpage.


Q: Do I need a permit to paint inside my residence?


A: No. Building Permits are not required to paint interior spaces in a house/apartment/condominium or to paint the exterior of a single-family home or duplex.


Q: Do I need a permit to install tile and/or repair tile or other types of flooring?


A: Yes. This applies to single-family, apartment and condominium residences as well as commercial buildings. If your residence is in a condominium you will need approval for the work to be performed from your Condominium Association or Condominium Manager.


Q: Do I need a permit to change the kitchen or bathroom cabinets and/or fixtures?


A.Yes. You need a building permit and, if the work involves fixtures (electrical or plumbing) you also will need plumbing and electrical permits. If your residence is in a condominium, you will need approval from the Condominium Association and/or the Condominium Manager.  Removal, replacement or addition of any electric device requires an electrical permit (ex.: adding GFCI outlet, changing/replacing light fixture or lighted medicine cabinet).


Q: I am doing a remodeling inside my house/apartment. What do I need to bring to the Department?


A: For major jobs or projects, you need to bring architectural or engineering plans that fully describe the work to be done. They must be signed and sealed by a Florida Licensed architect or engineer. For small jobs, a sketch by the homeowner or contractor will be allowed; the determination of what is a small vs. major job will be made by Village officials. However, if plumbing, mechanical or electrical work is involved, your subcontractors must submit plans that fully describe the work they will be performing and affix their name, stamp and license number to the drawings. Any plans presented to us must bear the name and contact information of the person who prepared them.


Q: How much will my permit cost?


A: It is a function of the construction cost or area of new construction (value or volume of the work, or a combination of both). The minimum cost for a building permit is $106.00 plus additional fees if required. If only cost is involved (no area being added), the basic permit fee is $106.00. Additional cost, if any, is determined at the moment of application or issuance. If area of construction is new or a significant addition, the fee is $106.00 plus additional costs based the square footage and volume.  For combined additions and remodeling, the cost of the addition must be separated from the total cost. If this is not done at time of application, the fee will be based on the total cost, as estimated by our office.


Q: I own my condomimium. Can I do work as an Owner-Builder and not have to hire a General Contractor?


A: No. Apartment, Condominium or Commercial Building tenants must hire a contractor in all situations. You can only act as an owner-builder on single-family or duplex residential projects, and also must meet requirements of Florida Statutes Section 489.103 (7). Florida Statutes only exempts homeowners when building themselves a single or two-family residence to live in. If they intend to sell it within one year after obtaining the final Certificate of Completion, then they are no longer exempt.


Q: If I qualify as Owner-Builder, what are my responsibilities?


A: As shown in the Owner-Builder Certification Application Form (PDF), your responsibilities under Florida Statutes are many. Some risks are involved if you pursue this role. Please read the "Pulling an Owner/Builder Permit is Risky Business!" information sheet (PDF) provided by the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation for important details.

It is best to stop by our offices and meet with the Village Building Official to prove (via a question and answer session) that you have the capability of performing the work to code. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have.


Q: How can I check the status of my Permit or Inspection Request?

A: Inspection requests are accepted daily at (305) 365-5512 between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. or at any time online. Instructions on how to use the online Accela Permit Manager software to search for a permit/request an inspection request/check status of a request are available here. Please note the following:

    • One business day notice is required to schedule an inspection
    • Inspection is performed within two (2) business days
    • Building, Electrical and Plumbing inspections will occur between 10:30 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. Monday-Friday. Mechanical inspections will upom availability. Monday-Thursday






Facebook Twitter

"To provide a safe, quality community environment for all islanders through responsible government."


© 2013 Village of Key Biscayne   |   88 West McIntyre Street   |   Key Biscayne, FL   |   33149   |   (305) 365-5511   |


Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records.
If you do not want your email address released in response to a public records request,

do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.