Frequently Asked Questions

Is the Village under watering restrictions including in the summer months?

Yes. Watering restrictions for the Village, Miami-Dade County and other regions of South Florida are in effect all year. The South Florida Water Management District's Year-round Landcape Irrigation Rule allows residential and business properties with odd-numbered addresses to water on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 12:00 am (midnight) to 10:00 am and/or 4:00 pm to 11:59 pm. Properties with even-numbered addresses may be watered on Thursdays and Sundays from 12:00 am (midnight) to 10:00 am and/or 4:00 pm to 11:59 pm. The bottom line for water conservation: no irrigation between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm.

How do I report a water leak?

Please report a water main leak directly to Miami-Dade County Water and Sewer Department (MDWASD) at (305) 274-9272.

How do I report a sewer leak on the street or an overflowing manhole?

Please report sewer overflows or hazardous conditions immediately to the Miami-Dade County Water and Sewer Department at (305) 274-9272.

The storm drain on our street is clogged. Who do I call for repairs?

The Village Public Works Division is responsible for maintaining storm drains and can be contacted at (305) 365-8945.

Storm drains are inspected and cleaned on a routine schedule to ensure they are in proper condition. Avoid clogging or obstructing the drain with trash or vegetation. Please note the Village is on a barrier island and subject to tides. During high tides rain water will remain above the drains until the tide subsides and, in times of extreme high tides, seawater may even flow up out of the drains for a limited time.

There is a big crack in the sidewalk along our street. Who is responsible for repairs?

The Public Works Division is responsible for repairing sidewalks in the Village. If you notice a damaged sidewalk, submit a repair request online or call the Division department at (305) 365-8945. A supervisor will inspect the area and place cold patch immediately.The damaged location will be placed on a list to be addressed under the Village's Capital Improvement Plan.

How do I report a pothole on the street?

Please submit a repair request online to the Village Public Works Division or call Public Works at (305) 365-8945.

What do I do about an iguana, possum or raccoon on my property?

The Village does not provide trapping services on private property. Please contact a trapper of your choice.

If there is a dead animal on public property (swale or street), please submit a removal request online or contact the Public Works Division at (305) 365-8945.

How do I report a broken street light?

Please report a non-functioning or malfunctioning street light directly to Florida Power and Light (FPL) at (305) 442-8770.

How can I dispose of trash and recycling as a single-family homes or duplex resident?

Collection of regular trash, recycling and yard trash is a side yard/back yard operation performed by Great Waste under the oversight of the Public Works Division. Bulk trash is collected once a month. Please call Great Waste directly at (786) 860-6476  if you have any problems with collection.

Regular trash pickup is done twice a week on Tuesday and Friday for properties north of West McIntyre Street and Monday and Thursday for properties south of West McIntyre Street. Yard trash pick up is once a week on the second day of your regular trash service. Recycling pickup is once a week on Wednesday for all areas.

Bulk trash is collected once a month at curbside only on a certain day depending on the area. For the color coded map depicting the bulk pick up schedule and a full description of services please visit the Solid Waste/Recyling/Bulky Waste webpage or call the Public Works Division at (305) 365-8945.

How do I report that my solid waste and recycling containers were missed and items not picked up?

Please contact Great Waste, the Village Solid Waste/Recycling contractor directly at (786) 860-6476.

What types of items may I place on the curb for my monthly bulk trash pick-up?

Acceptable items are vegetative material, household furniture, household trash and white goods. No construction material or household chemicals will be picked up.

What products are considered hazardous waste? When and how can I dispose of them?

Household Chemical Disposal is handled by Miami-Dade County Solid Waste Department’s Home Chemical Collection Centers. The two centers are located in West Dade at 8831 NW 58th Street and in South Dade at 23707 SW 97th Avenue, Gate B. Hours of operation are Wednesday through Sunday from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm.

Acceptable materials are: Paints and Coatings, Latex Interior and Exterior paint in liquid form, Spray Paint, Latex Primer in liquid form, Oil-Based Paint, Wood Sealer, Concrete Sealer, Driveway Sealer, Roof Cement, Cleaner and Polishers, Car Polish, Furniture Polish, Rug Cleaner/Shampoo, Glass Cleaner, Miscellaneous Aerosol and household Cleaners, Air Freshener, Oils, Lubricants and Solvents, Motor Oil, Lubricating Oil, Spray Lubricant, Miscellaneous Lubricants, Lamp Oil, Charcoal Lighter Fluid, Paint Thinner, Mineral oils. For more information call the County at 311.

How can I get a new recycling container?

Request recycling containers from Great Waste Customer Service at (786) 860-6476. Great Waste is the Village's Solid Waste and Recycling contractor.

How can I request a spray mission for mosquito control?

Please call the Miami Dade County Mosquito Control Division directly at 311 and state your address.

The County tracks the mosquito population on a weekly basis. If a high level of concentration is found tracking is performed on a daily basis. A high volume of calls in one specific area will trigger a spray mission using trucks and/or aircraft.

Facebook Twitter

"To provide a safe, quality community environment for all islanders through responsible government."


© 2013 Village of Key Biscayne   |   88 West McIntyre Street   |   Key Biscayne, FL   |   33149   |   (305) 365-5511   |


Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records.
If you do not want your email address released in response to a public records request,

do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.